Applications sought for study of collaborative leadership in nursing
14 October 2015
MSFHR, on behalf of the BC Nursing Research Initiative, is requesting applications for an award to study the impact of collaborative leadership roles on nurses in interprofessional primary health care teams.
In BC and across Canada, strategies for health system improvement include the implementation of innovative health care delivery models that provide high quality, cost effective, patient centred care. This project will look at one emerging model of care that has shown positive patient, provider, and system-level outcomes: the Interprofessional Collaborative Practice Team.
The proposed research will examine collaborative leadership and the roles of nurses across different practice settings and geographic variation in BC, and answer the following questions:
- What are the various leadership roles of nurses on interprofessional collaborative teams?
- How does leadership impact overall team functioning?
- What are the critical success factors and challenges to effective collaborative leadership?
- What are the differences across contexts and settings?
- What role does interprofessional collaborative practice education (as a part of the education program or continuing education) play in successful nurse leadership? How are these leadership roles defined as compared to other types of leadership roles on the team?
- What recommendations arise from answering these questions?
The maximum amount of the award is $360,000. MSFHR will fund one research team for a period of three years; applicants may request a maximum of $120,000 per year. Funding for year two and three is subject to submission of a satisfactory annual progress report along with the accompanying financial statement and annual budgetary approval by MSFHR’s Board of Directors.
For complete instructions and eligibility criteria, download the Request for Applications.
Applications must be submitted to Cindy Soules, Manager, Research Programs (Provincial Initiatives), at firstname.lastname@example.org. The application deadline is 4 p.m. (Pacific time), December 8, 2015.