MSFHR launches 2013/14 Scholar Program Competition
29 November 2013
The Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research (MSFHR) is pleased to announce the launch of the 2013/14 Scholar Program Competition.
Scholar awards are one of the cornerstones of MSFHR’s investment in building British Columbia’s capacity for world-class research. These awards, with a maximum term of five years, help new investigators launch independent research careers and build strong research programs. Since 2001, MSFHR has granted 341 Scholar awards worth nearly $110 million.
Competition open date: Friday, Nov 29, 2013 Letter of intent deadline:
Tuesday, Jan 28, 2014 Full application deadline:
Friday, Feb 28, 2014
The 2013/14 Scholar Program Competition is open to new investigators who are within five years of their first appointment  (at an Assistant Professor level or equivalent) as of the competition deadline. Applicants must have an appointment at an eligible  BC institution by July 1, 2014.
MSFHR is encouraging applications from health professional researchers who meet the above criteria. Successful health professional candidates will be required to have a minimum of 50 percent protected time for research (as opposed to the customary 75 percent) to allow for ongoing professional work in which their research can be embedded.
- Complete application instructions are available here
- Applications are submitted and managed through the MSFHR ApplyNet system.
- The application process will include two stages. Letters of intent must be submitted by January 28, 2014, and full applications are due February 28, 2014.
MSFHR will be hosting on-site information sessions at research institutions around the province. This is your chance to have your questions about 2013/14 Scholar awards answered and learn about recent changes to the competition guidelines.
- University of Northern British Columbia
When: Monday, November 25; 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Where: Conference Centre, Room 6-305
- Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute
When: Thursday, November 28; 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Where: Jim Pattison Pavilion, Vancouver General Hospital
RSVP: register online
- UBC Okanagan
When: Friday, November 29; 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Where: Administration Building, Room 103E
- Providence Health Care
When: Monday, December 2; 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.
Where: St. Paul’s Hospital, iCAPTURE Boardroom – Room #377 (3rd floor, Burrard West)
RSVP: email@example.com (RSVP required, as the room is behind locked doors and you must be buzzed in)
- University of British Columbia
When: Tuesday, December 3; 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Where: Michael Smith Labs, Room 102, Lecture Theatre (map)
- University of Victoria
When: Wednesday, December 4; 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Where: Administrative Services Building, Room 110
- Simon Fraser University
When: Thursday, January 9; 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Where: SFU Burnaby Campus, IRMACS Theatre, Room 10900
- “Appointment” refers to a position that allows the applicant/MSFHR Scholar to apply for and hold peer-reviewed funds as a principal investigator; to be a research supervisor for graduate and post-graduate trainees; and to publish their research results.
- An eligible BC institution is one that has a Memorandum of Understanding with MSFHR.
- To be eligible as a health professional researcher, applicants must be licensed in one of the 26 health professions regulated by the BC Ministry of Health (see www.health.gov.bc.ca/professional-regulation).In addition, you must have a faculty appointment at an eligible BC institution. However, you do not have to receive a salary from your institution. MSFHR is working with host institutions to disburse scholar awards to non-salaried faculty. Please note, awards can only be disbursed for eligible expenses.
The University of British Columbia Faculty of Medicine has prepared the following clarifications and FAQ to address circumstances particular to that Faculty.