2020 Health Professional-Investigator competition
The MSFHR Health Professional-Investigator (HP-I) Program is designed to help close the gap between health research and its implementation by supporting health professionals who are actively involved in patient care to conduct and apply research relevant to health and/or the health system.
- Applications open: week of January 6, 2020
- Webinar: The webinar has passed. View recorded webinar and slides below)
- Letter of intent deadline: February 10, 2020, 4:30 p.m. PT
- Full application deadline: July 17, 2020, 4:30 p.m. PT
- Anticipated notice of funding decision: November, 2020
- Anticipated start of funding: January 1, 2021
- Be actively and directly involved in patient care and hold a role which includes making clinical judgements/decisions.
- Have a level of research experience appropriate for the proposed research and commit to spending a minimum of 50 percent of their time conducting research for the duration of the award.
- Hold an appointment at, or have a commitment for an appointment from a BC institution allowing the individual to engage in independent research activities that conform to the institutional requirements for the conduct of research, to hold peer reviewed funding, and to publish their research results.
- Be based in BC and affiliated with a BC host institution that has a signed memorandum of understanding with MSFHR to administer the award funds for the duration of the HP-I award.
- Not have applied for a 2020 Scholar award.
- Not currently hold, or have previously held an MSFHR Health Professional-Investigator or Scholar award, or currently hold an MSFHR Innovation to Commercialization award.
- Award term: Up to five years
- Partnership opportunities available
New for the 2020 competition, two separate applicant streams have been introduced, which will be evaluated independently from one another: a physician stream and a non-physician stream. Applicants must select the most applicable stream according to the additional criteria below.
Only one stream can be selected per application. In addition to the overall program eligibility criteria described above:
Physician stream applicants must:
- Be a member of the following regulated health professions as recognized by the BC Health Regulators: physician, dental surgeon or podiatric surgeon.
- Hold a valid license to practice in BC, and be a member in good standing of the appropriate regulatory college.
- Hold a medical doctorate, or equivalent (e.g., MD, DDS, DPM, etc.).
Non-physician stream applicants must:
- Be a member of a regulated health profession as recognized by the BC Health Professions Act, (excluding physicians and surgeons) with a valid license to practice in BC, and a member in good standing of the appropriate regulatory college, OR belong to a health profession requiring board certification, and be a member in good standing of its respective provincial or national certification body.
- Hold a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent.
As in previous years, we are pleased to be partnering with Mitacs to offer an expedited application process for Mitacs Accelerate internship funding for graduate students or post-doctoral fellows working on the proposed HP-I project.
Application resources (PDF)
- Conditions of Award
- Evaluation Criteria
- Evaluation Criteria for LOI
- Full Application Uploads Instructions