2020 Health System Impact Fellowship
MSFHR is partnering with CIHR’s Institute of Health Services and Policy Research (IHSPR) on its Health System Impact Fellowship Program to support the development of BC’s health policy research talent and build capacity for the integration of policy research into decision-making.
The Health System Impact Fellowship Program provides PhD trainees and post-doctoral fellows studying health services and policy, or related fields, with a paid experiential learning opportunity within health system organizations including health authorities, as they apply their research and analytic talents to specific health policy challenges faced by their hosts. The Fellows also benefit from professional development opportunities, participation in a national cohort, mentorship with health system and academic leaders, and protected time for academic research.
Following the success of the 2018 and 2019 partnerships, which enabled a total of 24 Fellows to be awarded in BC, MSFHR is partnering with CIHR again to increase the number of funded researchers working within BC health system organizations, pool resources to reduce duplication in the system, and build capacity for the integration of policy research into decision-making.
Who should apply
Trainees who are enrolled full-time in a doctoral degree and studying health services and policy research or related fields for their doctoral training at Canadian CIHR eligible institution by the application deadline (stream 1).
Trainees who have obtained their doctoral degree in health services and policy research or related fields no more than five years prior to the application deadline, or who have completed their PhD requirements by the start date of the award (stream 2).
Matched funding and host organizations
For BC applicants, MSFHR and CIHR will contribute up to a maximum of 70% of the total award value and applicants must secure the remaining 30% from their host partner organization.
The BC instutions participating as host partner organizations include the ones listed below. A full list of host partner organizations is available here.
- BC Centre for Disease Control
- BC Ministry of Mental Health and Addictions
- BC Ministry of Health
- Child Health BC
- PricewaterhouseCoopers & The Canadian Health Services and Policy Research Alliance (CHSPRA)
- Victoria Hospice & Island Health
If you are a BC health system organization with a policy challenge, please contact Muneerah Kassam to discuss how a 2020 Health System Impact Fellow could help. The BC institutions and projects supported through the 2019 competition are available here.
The maximum amount per post-doctoral award is $155,000 total for 2 years (including $7,500 per year professional development training and research allowance).
- Applications open: December 20, 2019
- Information webinar: January 15, 2020, 9:30 a.m. PST
- Full application deadline: April 1, 2020
- Anticipated notice of funding decision: July 20, 2020
- Anticipated start of funding: September 1, 2020
Further information, guidelines and details on how to apply can be found on ResearchNet.
In 2017, MSFHR made a decision to put its Health Policy Fellowship Program on hold and partner with CIHR on the new Health System Impact Fellowship. By partnering with CIHR, the aim was to meet the goals of the Health Policy Fellowship while leveraging federal funds to BC to support the development of health policy research talent and the uptake of evidence to inform planning, policy, and practice.