As BC's health research funding agency, we think deeply about how to grow, improve and best support BC health research.
Forward Thinking, a blog series written by MSFHR staff, examines what it takes to be a responsive and responsible research funder, and explores the world in which research funders operate today.
Not sure where to start? This blog post by MSFHR's President & CEO Dr. Bev Holmes, introduces the science of science funding.
Forward Thinking blogs
- A health research funder’s role in public and patient engagement: Building solid and sustainable foundations
January 2019: The MSFHR team leading the Foundation's public and patient engagement strategy reflect on the valuable lessons learnt during development, and where we go from here.
- Assessing research impact: Perspectives from a provincial health research funding agency
October 2018: Dr. Julia Langton, MSFHR’s manager, evaluation & impact analysis, provides an overview of how we approach research impact assessment at the Foundation, and some of the tools in our assessment toolbox.
- The life and times of an MSFHR research funding program
September 2018: Dr. Les Grad, manager, research programs (design & development), provides a window into how we design, develop and evaluate our programs to ensure they achieve their goals and realize their desired impact.
- Lost in knowledge translation? Time to get strategic
August 2018: Dr. Bev Holmes, president & CEO, talks KT strategy and evaluation, and challenges funders — and other organizations working to improve evidence use — to take a hard look at their KT activities as a whole and make sure they are focused in the right areas for maximum impact.
- It's all about the evidence! Funders as research users
July 2018: Ms. Gayle Scarrow, director, knowledge translation, explores how a funder can contribute to the science of KT by participating as a research user.
- The implementation of evidence is a social change project, and we are in it together
June 2018: Dr. Gen Creighton, manager, knowledge translation, highlights the parallels between the implementation of research evidence and the role of the research funder.
- Gender equity in health research funding
May 2018: Dr. Zena Sharman, director of strategy, outlines what we know about gender equity in health research funding, what we wish we knew, and the steps MSFHR is taking to foster gender equity in our programs.
- Funding agency investment strategies: Where to begin
April 2018: Dr. Zena Sharman, director of strategy, outlines MSFHR’s efforts to become more focused and transparent about our approach to investing in health research and research impact.
- Increasing value, reducing waste in research: What can funders do?
March 2018: Dr. Bev Holmes, president & CEO, unpacks the 2014 Lancet special issue that argues there is waste in the research process in terms of how research is prioritized, conducted, regulated, disseminated and discusses a funders role in addressing these.
- From fund-and-forget to help-it-happen: Responsive and responsible research funding
February 2018: Dr. Bev Holmes, president & CEO, explores the science of science funding, which is generating interest globally from funders committed to “helping it happen”.