2019 Health Professional-Investigator competition
The MSFHR Health Professional-Investigator (HP-I) Program is designed to help close the gap between health research and its implementation by supporting health professionals who are actively involved in patient care to conduct and apply research relevant to health and/or the health system.
- Applications open: week of Jan. 7, 2019
- Webinar: January 16, 2019, 10 a.m. PT
- Letter of intent deadline: February 11, 2019, 4:30 p.m. PT
- Full application deadline: April 17, 2019, 4:30 p.m. PT
- Anticipated notice of funding decision: Early August 2019
- Anticipated start of funding: September 1, 2019
- Hold a valid license to practice as a member of a regulated health profession as recognized by the BC Health Professions Act, or belong to a health profession requiring board certification and be in good standing with the relevant body.
- Be actively and directly involved in patient care and hold a role which includes making clinical judgements/decisions.
- Have a level of research experience appropriate for the proposed research and commit to spending a minimum of 50 percent of their time conducting research for the duration of the award.
- Be based in BC and affiliated with a BC host institution that has a signed memorandum of understanding with MSFHR to administer the award funds for the duration of the HP-I award.
- Award term: Up to five years
- Partnership opportunities available
New for 2019
As part of MSFHR’s commitment to continuous learning and improvement, we review all our programs and competitions to ensure they are meeting the needs of the BC health and health research community. As a result:
- We have refined the eligibility and evaluation criteria to emphasize a focus on those actively and directly involved in patient care and enable reviewers to assess, and attribute greater weight to, the impact of the HP-I award on the applicant’s career in research.
- In order to reduce burden on applicants, only those whose letters of intent (LOI) are ranked in the top two quartiles will be invited to submit a full application (LOIs that meet the eligibility criteria will undergo review by an external review panel). All applicants will receive the quartile score for their LOI, along with feedback from the reviewers. The LOI evaluation criteria is available here.
In addition, we are pleased to be partnering with Mitacs to offer an expedited application process for Mitacs Accelerate internship funding for graduate students or post-doctoral fellows working on the proposed HP-I project.
Application resources (PDF)
- Conditions of Award
- Evaluation Criteria
- Evaluation Criteria for LOI (updated Jan 16)
- Full Application Uploads Instructions
To participate in the webinar, please register here. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.