The MSFHR Scholar Program allows early-career researchers to establish an independent research career, build a leading research program, and expand their potential to make significant contributions to their field.
- Competition launch: November 2, 2018
- Letter of intent deadline: November 29, 2018, 4:30 p.m. PT
- Full application deadline: January 31, 2019, 4:30 p.m. PT
- Anticipated notice of funding decision: Late June 2019
- Anticipated start of funding: July 1, 2019
2019 Scholar competition details:
- Applicants must:
- Have a PhD or equivalent and commit to a minimum of 75 percent of their time conducting research
- Hold or have a commitment for an appointment at a BC institution that holds a memorandum of understanding with MSFHR
- Be within five years of the start of their first university appointment
- Award term: five years
- Partnership opportunities available
New for 2019
As part of MSFHR’s commitment to continuous learning and improvement, we review all our programs and competitions to ensure they are meeting the needs of the BC health and health research community. As a result, we are pleased to offer:
- Separate peer review pools for new faculty recruits (within two years of their first appointment) and more established junior faculty (3-5 years from their first appointment) in order to ensure a more equitable review process.
- An expedited application process for Mitacs Accelerate funding to support experiential training internships for Master’s students, PhD students and post-doctoral fellows.
This year the peer review process will also include unconscious bias training for reviewers and place greater emphasis on the availability of institutional mentorship support for applicants to ensure funding recipients have the support they need to enable ongoing growth and development.
If you are unsure whether you should be applying for the Scholar or Health Professional-Investigator Program, refer to this diagram for guidance. If you have any further questions, please contact our Help Desk: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application resources (PDF)
The webinar date has passed. Download the webinar slides here: