Impacts of a Palliative Approach for Nursing (IPAN)
This practice-relevant nursing health services research initiative will address the questions:
- How and in which contexts can a palliative approach better meet the needs of patients with a life-limiting illness and their family members?
- How can a palliative approach guide the development of innovations in health care delivery systems to better support nursing practice and the health system in British Columbia?
The questions will be pursued through a provincial survey of nurses and three substantive research strands that are guided by the following questions:
- What health system and public policy innovations are needed to support nurses to enactive a palliative approach in the context of the BC Health care environment? What is the impact on staffing and skill mix in integrating a palliative approach?
- How do we best prepare nurses, taking into account context and skill mix, to integrate a palliative approach?
- Given a palliative approach, what are the patient-centered and system opportunities nurses can build upon to guide and support patients and families throughout their illness?